Tips for writing paper in epidemiology
这学期参加了一个journal club “tell me something I don’t know about cancer”，获益匪浅。特别是通过交流学习，是我这种小白对epidemiology和cancer有了更深的认识。
通过对每次journal club上文章的critisize, 不仅培养了批判性思维，还同时对该领域的文章结构有了很清晰的认识。很好的东西，必须记下来，好记性不如烂笔头嘛。写文章的时候对照这些问题，就会删了很多bug呢。
a Series on Evaluation of Scientific Publications ，该书的第一章
Critical Appraisal of Scientific Articles 就是告诉我们如何严谨的写作科研文章。经常读读是大有裨益的，该书共21章，每章针对不同的方面都会有专题，特别专业。
Title, Introduction and Purpose
- Does the title adequately reflect the work content? Is it unbiased?
- Does it attract the appropriate readership?
- Is there evidence of a literature review? If so, is it recent (in last five years)?
- Is the problem statement/introduction clearly described?
- Is it relevant to the topic selected and does it show the objectives or aims of the research article?
- Is the research question or hypothesis clear?
- Is it informative, research-based and does it support the purpose/problem?
Methods and Results
Materials, Methods and Results
What information is there on the sample size and characteristics-selection bias?
What sampling technique was used to collect the data?
How were ethical considerations handled/IRBE approval obtained?
Do the methods match the purpose?
What statistical methods were utilized - were they appropriate?
Are the results clearly presented - are they significant?
Does the data presentation match the described methods?
Discussion and conclusion
- What conclusions are drawn by the author?
- Are the statements well supported by the literature?
- Are they consistent with the study objectives and limited to the data in the study?
- How does the study contribute to the body of knowledge?
Is there any implication for clinical practice?
Can the conclusions be generalized to various settings or populations of people?
What additional question does this study raise?
What are the flaws or limitations of the study?
- Is there a need to contact the author?